Location: Spitalfeilds, London
Project Year: 2009
Cost: 500k - 2mThe house, built around 1724 is single-fronted and two rooms deep, containing a cellar-basement and four storeys. The front of this range of houses was designed to conform with that of the west side of the north arm of Spital Square, though here the windows are spaced in groups of three to each house. The house is paired with its neighbour, with mirrored plans and central chimney-stacks.
This house has the only surviving example of the wooden Doric door cases with which all the houses in this street were doubtless embellished. The Doric detailing of the frieze over the front door is now echoed in the new design of the conservatory at the rear of the house.
The brief was to reconfigure the bedroom and bathroom arrangement to the top floor, recreating a larger bedroom to the rear of the house and opening up the former fireplace previously hidden by crude planning. At ground level the aim was to rebuild the conservatory structure that had been built in the nineteen eighties to open sideways into the small courtyard garden, so that in summer months the full width of the plot could be enjoyed as the sun streams into the yard. Elliptical arch-headed frame recessed cupboards with simple panelling around. A large over-scaled box cornice, with light shelf incorporated, provides a playful relief. A new kitchen and dining room was also created by switching the position of the kitchen, formerly at the centre of the plan, to the front room, allowing the dining room, with its Georgian fire surround, to act as a focus for the ground floor suite of rooms.