Project Year: 2009
Cost: 500k - 2mThe house was built in 1720, and over three centuries its history has been chequered, with additional add-ons and adjustments through the years. Some degree of compromise was in order, to deal with the everyday needs of the twenty first century, and so it could not be a deliberate going back to the original conditions of use but the aim was to restore and enhance the original qualities that remained.
A large new exhibition space with wall-to-wall plate glass windows faces a clean courtyard, which with its surviving fig tree has the air of a garden, while on the second floor a more private living room looks down on this garden through four equally spaced vertical windows. These spaces are entirely modern in feeling. Along with the new kitchen at first floor, they extend across the whole width of the house between party walls, and are of entirely new construction. The programme also provided for the addition of a bank of accommodation to the back of the house in the old cottage which has been regulated with a new face of five equal windows, on two levels and shares in the grandeur of the main house but on a diminished scale.