Location: W1D 3SQ
Client: Soho House
Project Year: 2015
Cost: N/AWe restored and refurbished this Grade II listed town house after it had been gutted by fire and left derelict, to create a new members club venue for Soho House. We reinstated every possible detail of the original 1732 building, from reintroducing its large rear courtyard, down to restoring a spoiled mural in the entrance hall. In addition we added a new mews building, to accommodate services away from the listed premises.
Across the five storeys the town house now provides living, drawing, library rooms and a screening room, housed in a newly excavated basement. The mews building, which fronts onto the courtyard and the neighbouring street, is home to a new bar and rooftop terrace. The design simultaneously complements the period setting and demarcates its contemporary origin.
Conceived as a contemporary counterpart to 76 Dean Street, we have completed the construction this mews building fronting on to Richmond Mews, a quiet address in the heart of Soho.
Designed to reflect the characteristics of the adjacent warehouse buildings, the façade is built from traditional handmade bricks arranged in a series of stepped planes which toy with shadow and light.
Functioning primarily as a service building, the industrial concertina doors conceal a loading bay and crittal windows reference the proportions of the Georgian building beyond. Frameless glazing to the staircore reflects the steel staircase inside.
Brass details on the flanks of the elevation and a bespoke, pressed brass door continue the lively approach to a conservation area building.